Maple Walnut Cupcakes
Maple Walnut Cupcakes ( Makes 18 Cupcakes)
It was a cold rainy afternoon, I really wanted to make something with walnuts in it. So i flipped through my Cupcakes Galore book and found Maple Walnut Cupcakes! I had all the ingredients but Walnuts and Maple Syrup. So i decided to go walk up to the store and get those 2 things. Of corse i spend more money! I got the Walnut and Maple Syrup and i got some measuring spoons. After i got that i was walking home and of corse im clumsy and i drop my glass maple syrup bottle because the bag had a hole in it which i never knew!! And it was pouring rain and there was glass everywhere! So i got soaked and picked up all the glass ran home and ran back up to the store to get more maple syrup. Got home safe and sound without the bag ripping! Yay! I got all my ingredients and started baking!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 /1 stick cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Alternately add dry ingredients and syrup and milk, blending well after each addition. Fold in walnuts.
- Spoon batter into cupcake papers, filling cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tester inserted center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
Maple Meringue Icing
( I never used this icing i used buttercream because i never had more maple syrup)
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or walnut halves ( for decoration)
- To make the icing: Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until peaks start to form. Set aside.
- Boil maple syrup until it forms a soft ball when dropped into a glass of water (about 234F on a candy thermometer). The time will depend on the maple syrup you are using but should be about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat immediately. Slowly pour the hot syrup into the egg whites,beating constantly. The hot syrup actually cooks the egg whites. Add vanilla and continue beating until mixture is stiff and stands in soft peaks.
- Ice the cooled cupcakes,forming peaks with the back of a spoon or a fork. Place a walnut half on top of each cupcake or sprinkle with chopped walnuts before icing hardens. It will harden on the outside and remain soft and creamy inside.